Thread: Annoying calls
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
JFP in PA

More likely, what you are getting is robot dialers looking for fax machines that they can then send junk faxes to. While I keep my home phone lines on the "do not call" state and federal lists; I still get these as well. I reversed the voice and fax lines in my home office as a test (neither is published anywhere), and within a week all the junk faxes I used to get on the old fax line started showing up on the voice line; they had already found the "new" fax line.

One thing you can do is see if your phone service provider offers “call blocking” that will automatically connect calls without proper caller ID to a voice mail message that tells them that “The number you have dialed does not accept calls from phones with blocked caller ID, please reconfigure your phone to turn on caller ID and call back.” It then hangs up. That will get rid of most, but not all of these types of calls.

I see caller ID as one of the greatest developments of our time, if my phones ring and home, and the caller ID is blocked, we just let it go to voice mail. 95 times out of a hundred, there are no messages left………..