View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
gschotland

I think you're looking to REPLACE the rear window, not repair it. Maybe she misunderstood. According to the owner Peter, he's done "hundreds" of Boxster rear windows over the years, mine included. Not sure why he'd stop doing them now. Call again and talk to Peter.

Replacement of the rear window is not something that has to be done every few years. You should get 5 yrs min. Many people get substantially more. My original lasted 7, and I think this is fairly typical. From what Peter told me, replacement of the rear window is something that can only be done once. After that it's time for a new top.

When you consider the age and expected life of the car, your anticipated ownership period and all your other maintenance costs, replacement of the rear window makes a lot of economic sense provided the top's in otherwise good shape. I'm sure Peter will give you an opinion on whether your top's worth repairing.

Used '03/'04 tops w/frames are pricey and herd to find. I've heard $1200-$1500 is not uncommon (every other pre-'03 owner has the same idea), and then you need to install it. Not worth it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psugrad93
Hey guys, I just found your responses on here today. I just called Stan's and the girl answering the phone said they don't repair the plastic rear window on convertibles. ??
I don't know if I'd have to have them purchase the roof from the '03 or '04 in order to do the replacement of the roof instead. Let me know your thoughts on this please. I don't want to have to deal with this window cracking again a few years down the road.

Thanks!

Last edited by gschotland; 02-16-2011 at 07:04 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote