Thread: K & N Filter
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Gator Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
Nice Chevy small block; from what looks to be a single tank brake reservoir, this is a pre 1967 GM car. which one?
Good eye man... 1966 Chevy Nova....

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
That wasn't exactly the point. We all know that stock air is cold air but it is very restrictive the way it comes from the factory, cold air refers to opening the intake to allow more air to get in quicker. The cold air systems come supplied with an open box to seperate the engine heat from the intake. In my case I made my own. In addition to the intake you also need less restrictive exhaust which I mentioned. My HP did just fine. I'm making 310 which is up from 256 with that and softronic tune.
Sorry Harry. I didn't mean to challenge your intake. I was speaking more literally about the 'Cold Air Intake' and where that whole idea got its name. I didn't realize you were usign the term a little more losely, What you're referring to would be better described as 'Intake Enhancements' of 'Intake Improvements'.

It's funny how in today's US automotive culture that no matter what make or model of car you're talking about, folks go right to the intake and exhaust to look for more horsepower. The exhaust makes some sense. The auto manufacturers have strict requirements to meet in regard to noise and pollution. Meeting those requirements sometimes requires the loss of a little power. But the intake, this is an area where I don't believe the manufacturers leave much on the table.

Let's face it. Car manufacturers are looking to get as much horsepower as they can from their cars. Horesepower sells cars. If they could get more power out of them by putting in a K&N air filter or a plastic Y splitter in the intake pipe, don't you think they would? They can make these changes to the car at virtually no cost. Sure they would....

I am not a big believer in intake enhancements. I've tried so many of them over the years with no measurable improvements. I believe that the manufacturers get it and know how to make an adequate intake system. Now of course, if you make all sorts of other mods to the car that produce more power, there will come a point where the stock intake is no longer aqequate because you are flowing a lot more air than it was made for. I get that.

Conversely, I've had 3 different aftermarket exhaust systems on my Cayman S. All with the stock intake. All dyno tested. All of them produced more than the stock (~15 RWHP / ~20 BHP), and all were within a few HP of each other (can be dismissed as testing error).

You mentioned Softronic. I know Scott pretty well. He's in my PCA region, and he's very active. He's a pretty smart guy. He has tested cars on the dyno snorked, desnorked, with air filter, with performance air filter, with no air filter at all and he could not see a measurable difference.