Thread: K & N Filter
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
MikenOH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Bite
I've seen this said a lot in regard to our cars, and it doesn't really apply. To understand why, let's answer the question, "What is a Cold Air Intake?"

In the old days, car manufactures allows the engine to breath air from inside the engine compartment. Anyone but me remember the old days when the air cleaner was under a wing nut....? Look at this example.

You can clearly see where this engine is breathing from. It's getting it's air from the front right side of the engine, right behind the radiator. Guess what...? The air in that area is hot, and hot air going into an engine develops a lot less horsepower than cooler air. That's where the whole 'cold air intake' thing started. Folks started routing the air supply from a place that was cooler than the engine compartment.

Well, guess what....? All Boxsters get their air from the left side vent opening in front of the back wheel. You can't get any better than that. All Boxsters come with a cold air intake. I've see 986s with aftermarket kits that open the airbox up so it can get more air. You might as well call that a hot air intake and say goodbye to some horsepower because those kits allow the intake to pull from the very hot engine compartment.
Nice Chevy small block; from what looks to be a single tank brake reservoir, this is a pre 1967 GM car. which one?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote