View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #20
Georg

Saw a car (01 I believe) at an independent place with what looked like a GAHH top installed. They had installed it themselves in the past but could (would?) tell me neither top manufacturer nor year of installation.

Side by side with mine with the pvc window and an 03 (OEM glass) 3 cars further away:

(1) wife says mine looks better (hmm...) for a reason I failed to grasp - no surprise there, I guess
(2) straight from the back my car itself looked better - probably more sqwat with my OEM sports suspension
(3) straight from the back the GAHH top looked the best. The shorter glass made the top look smaller and wider adding to that beautiful butt (I could add a remark here but I would probably be banned a couple of days after joining so I'll keep it to myself)
(4) profile: my car looked way best, next was the GAHH, then the OEM glass top. GAHH and OEM glass was a close call as Bill's bubble of the OEM was almost totally outweighed by the bubble in GAHH's glass. For some reason GAHH's window has a pronounced convexity to the outside (rear) in the vertical axis (besides left-right). I had the guy open-close slowly and checked for a reason, but could not see that there would be a problem with the rear shelf if the glass had been vertically straight. Maybe GAHH's mind works in mysterious ways (or mine doesn't at all ).
(5) OEM look: undecided yet. GAHH looks nice but I am not certain it looks like it might have been an OEM item (due to window design, not quality, which appeared on a par with the OEM units).

Main reason for opening/closing little by little was to check for stress to the glass or the joint. It appeared to be a close call (GAHH must have used every mm of size they could with that window) but it does not look it would be an issue. That said, it looked like the window top edge might have started separating itself, but not certain. Then again it might well have been a previous generation top. Something was amiss though...

Someone had asked for size difference. I am afraid I did not have a measure on me, but the OEM window was more than 50% taller than the GAHH.

Overall, I am for the time being leaning more towards the GAHH unit: according to those guys OEM top and frame additions would escalate the OEM glass top cost to several times that of the GAHH. OEM from salvage yards would of course work, but then you are buying a used top w/ so much life in it (maybe not more that your carefully looked after current one).
Georg is offline   Reply With Quote