View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #57
BYprodriver

Garage
Several years ago I was employed as a press fleet management company test driver. The company I worked for warehoused an example of 80% of the new cars for sale in the U.S. It was my responsibility to test drive every vehicle before & after each magazine test to ensure each vehicle was in perfect condition for the evaluation. Being a lifelong musclecar enthusiast & engine builder I considered Porsches to be "glorified VWs" A few weeks into the job it was time to go thru the Porsche fleet. First up was a 996 C4, I loved the purposeful, aerodynamic lines inside & out. I was impressed with the engines power & sound, after all it's not 1970 anymore & this was about as good as it gets at the dawn of the 21st century. Next up was a base 2.7 Boxster, reminded me of my youth driving around my neighborhood in my 1st go-cart, lots of fun just not quite fast enough. Turbo!! WOW this is awesome!! , wish I had finished college now, but I can't live like this, not if I want to keep this job, & a drivers license. Boxster S, last but not least. It's the everyday adult go-cart you always wanted as a kid, seemingly endless handling capabilities & all the power you NEED & then some MORE! I am starting to feel like I am the greatest driver in the world! Was that a gafall that just came out of me? I have never laughed like that before. Well all good things must come to a end & after 9/11/2001 the companys profits fell & I was over qualified & overpaid in managements judgement & I went from valued asset to excessive cost in a few months so I quit the best job I ever had. I was happy to not have to deal with management any longer but I sure missed the Porsches so I bought the funnest device ever invented by man: 2000 Boxster S, zero options because it comes with everything you need & nothing you don't. It's like owning your own personal roller coaster with a remote control so you can stay on as long as you want & go as fast as you want!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote