View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
rcracer_tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Interesting project. I am not sure why you would choose the Boxster as a chassis though. For a race car it's pretty heavy and the ECU/Alarm/ immobilizer will all have to be gutted and replaced with a custom engine mgmt like Motronic. No way the Porsche ECU will get friendly with a turbo Wankel. I'd guess the trans and mounts are the least of your worries. Why not use a nice light RX7 chassis or build a tube frame around your power plant? Any way you go it will turn into a big ol' science experiment.
Yeah, I'm very familiar with FD's, infact I used to work for a rotary shop. I absolutely love the rotary engine, but want a more "refined" feeling/looking chassis. the 986 interior is top notch, and the styling is excellent.

I'm not going all out race car on this build, I want the styling and mid engine of the boxster with the power of a modern day supercar. I also really like to be able to drop the top when its warm out, which has made me consider either a rotary powered miata or boxster. When looking at the cost and difficulty of doing either, the boxster would actually be cheaper in the long run as you would have to replace basically everything on a miata to be safe at that level of hp. I was considering a 20b FF GTM supercar, but the fit and finish leaves more than a bit to be desired.

Engine management would be addressed with a Motec, an AEM V1 (new V2 ones are garbage), or a Proefi (company started by the designer of the AEM v1 software).
rcracer_tx is offline   Reply With Quote