View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
laphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncaserta
Devastating update time:

Last week I got a call from Bert Wolfe telling me there was a leak on the transmission and the seal had to be replaced (RMS). I tell them to go for it... Well, today they call me back and tell me that there were metal shavings in the transmission fluid and they recommend to have the tranny replaced. I cringed as he proceeded to tell me that a new replacement transmission was going to be $8000 and a used transmission is going to cost $3000.

(I am wondering if the leak was the transmission all along and they misdiagnosed it.) I wouldn't know how to prove it anyway.

I am checking around locally to see if any shops are able to install a tiptronic transmission in this Boxster, but I highly doubt anyone where I live can do this type of surgery.

The dealership said they would work with me on the labor, but at this point I'm not sure what my options are. Does anyone know of a place that I could find a 2001 Boxster tiptronic transmission?

Thanks for the help,

Aaron

I thought metal shavings are normal for automatic transmission as long as you don't have too much or metal chunk.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbarkley/5334659553/in/photostream/

My other cars are toyota and mercury. both has magnet attached to the transmission pan to attract all the metal shavings. I drop the pan every 50K miles and always find metal shavings build up on the magnet. Never have any problems with those transmission even with shavings...

Is you transmission shifts fine (does it slip??) ? If it works fine, I think the dealer is just try to make money selling you a new transmission. Also, you can check the leaky fluid color. If it is red, most likely it is the transmission. I hate dealer when they just want to make money and treat customer like they know nothing about car.

You can find used transmission from ebay....

Last edited by laphan; 01-26-2011 at 07:50 AM.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote