View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
baxster

"Somebody Stop Me!!"

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 04 S manual, triple black, with 44k miles for $22599 at Carmax. Ok, I don't think I want to be stopped, unless you think I'm making a mistake.

The car has:
-NO cruise control or PSM or Litronics
-heated seats
-stereo with dash speakers and a 6 CD disc changer in the front trunk
It is a local one owner car.

So here's my talking points:

1. I'm mid 50's and have owned a lightly modded Miata for the last 12 years. So I’m not new to good handling cars. I test drove two bases and two S's. I don't want to take a lot of time or go out of my area to find the perfect combination. The year, model, tranny, and miles are the most important.

2. This car is about $4k to $5k more than I originally thought I would spend, But I decided I wanted an 03 or 04 S with 40k to 60k miles. I can probably pay off the loan in a few months.

3.Cruise would be nice but I don't plan on much freeway driving. I'll probably do about 2500 to 5000 miles/year of local commute and weekend twisties, etc.

4. PSM would be nice if I felt like driving at 10/10ths of my ability in the twisties, but I scared myself one too many times doing that in my Miata. So I think I'll slow down to 9/10ths . I enjoy occasionally breaking the rears loose. So I don't know how important it is to have PSM.

5. For about $200, I should be able to install a HID kit. I did that to my Explorer 8 years ago and they're still as good as the best factory xenons I've seen for light output.

6. The radio doesn't sound great but I don't listen to music much with the top down. The engine sounds way too nice to mask it. I could always do aftermarket upgrades if I wanted.

7. Carmax has a 5 day 100% refund to give me time for a PPI and research dealers or indies that may have performed service on it for the original owner.

8. I might get Carmax's 6 year service contract. I can get one to take me for another 30k miles (a total of 75k on the odo) for $1369. My clutch should be toast by then and I'll do the IMS upgrade at that time, with or without the warranty. I'm just thinking the warranty should cover things like CV's, wheel bearings, water pump, alternator, etc, and god forbid I would have to fight for a new engine in that time. A fighting chance might be better than no chance though.

So I just wanted to bounce this off your wall to see what you think before I become one of the few.
d

Last edited by baxster; 01-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.
baxster is offline   Reply With Quote