View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
Dale_K

I've had some Brembo equipped cars that would also get sticky brakes if the car sat for a few days in wet conditions. They would actually make a popping noise at each wheel when the car first moved. Surface rust is normal for all cast iron brake discs if they get wet. Mine rust in the few seconds after I wash the wheels. The first time you use the brakes there is a little grinding sound as the rust is scraped away.

The sponginess I can't explain. The brakes on my 2000 S lack feel and bite and I suspected a failed booster but I can hear it "breath" when I press the brake with the motor off. If I press the pedal about 6 times (motor off) and then start the car with my foot on the pedal I can feel it react to the fresh vacuum and sink under the weight of my foot. On my car pressing the pedal hard enough will activate the ABS so I need to do a little more investigation. I know the discs are worn but I think that should only come into play from multiple brake applications (fade) and my car's brakes act funny all the time. I wish I had a chance to feel the brakes on a new Boxster. My 2010 GMC pickup actually feels like it has better brakes.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote