View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #19
JoeFromPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Experts doing used oil analysis will tell you otherwise...
Hi Clickman,

I consider myself an expert oil analyst (amateur, I'm not a professional). Can you point me in the direction of any oil analyses indicating the m96 eats high-end synthetics in even 7-8k miles?

To get such info from an oil analysis, you would need to have one or more of the following consistently appearing in m96 oil analyses by the ~7.5k mark:

- Xw40 oils degrading down to a 20 grade viscosity
- TBN is gone, or TAN is exceptionally high
- Insolubles are too high

Almost none of those are feasible when we're talking about 8.5 quarts of high-end synthetic in a naturally aspirated small displacement engine, daily driven or similar, with any form of modern filtration. Furthermore, boxer engines are typically very easy on oil by their design.

Now, maybe there is some sort of engine-oil lubricated bearing point that is absolutely brutal on engine oils in the boxster. However, I've never heard of that and, if that was the case, you'd hear about a common oil-lubricated bearing failure point due to the unusual stresses involved.

The engine-oil lubricated parts of the boxster are exceptionally sound, in part because they are not very stressful to interacting parts protected by a thin layer of oil.

Hope that all made sense.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote