View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
JoeFromPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyl55
Well there seems to be plenty of discussion and surveys on blown-up Boxster engines. How about some talk and a survey on some good exp. I have a 120000 mile "97" that is still going strong. Anyone else?
My car is 11 years old (99), has 59k miles, and is in great shape overall. It seems to me that mileage doesn't play that big a role in the engine failures we hear about....nor does oil type, driving style (though lugging the engine alot may exacerbate it and perhaps extensive track use as well), etc.

In other forums/engines, those types of engine failures are known as "manufacturers defects", since there isn't much you can do to prevent it except replace it and it seems to strike at random.

What I've found interesting is that it doesn't show up in any of the big surveys AFAIK. From Consumer Reports to TrueDelta, and everywhere in between, you don't see long-term boxster owners reporting it that frequently when mass-surveyed.

And I compare that to the early boxster engine problems, which DID show up in surveys.

I'm not saying its not a problem, I'm just saying it's hard to gauge the true extent. Once you become "sensitive" to hearing something and are on a forum where people tend to report it, it's very hard to stay objective.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote