View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
I've checked all the other possible sources for leaks and it's without question coming from the RH end of the rack itself; all other connections up front are tight and leak-free. The new Pelican 101 Projects for Your Boxster book specifically says that if there's of fluid in the boot, the rack's in trouble. The LH side was absolutely clean.

I'm not the original owner, so I have no idea whether the PO had a curb encounter or did something else to damage the rack. While I've noticed the spots on that side of the rack for only the last few months, fluid has been slowly disappearing since around 45k miles, a few thousand miles after the car was purchased. I guess I should have taken a closer look a long time ago, not that I would have done anything differently to deal with leak until other work up there was needed.

Other than the leak the rack feels fine - or maybe the deterioration has been so slow that I haven't noticed it. I supposed I could continue nursing it along for a while, but thought it would be best to deal with it now since everything is apart and I'm planning on owning the car for a while.

Is replacement of the steering column u-joint advisable as this point as well?

Can you suggest any techniques for getting the steering wheel alignment right?
If the rack is leaking, yes, there is a problem and it needs to come out.

I've never had to replace the steering column u joint. If it isn't loose, leave it alone.

Alignment requires a properly equipped shop, and a knowledgeable staff; this is best left to the pros. You can get the car close enough to drive it to an alignment shop using a tape measure; just don't drive it anywhere else until it is properly aligned.