Thread: Garmin?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #18
mikefocke

Some features I like

are the both audio and visual lane assist...tells you what lane to be in well before the lanes merge or branch off, even tells you what the signs at an interstate exit will look like by flashing a picture of the sign. The reminder that I'm going over the speed limit would seem intrusive unless you could set it to tell you how much over to allow you...say 6 miles over to no more than 80 if those are the local thresholds for reckless driving. The tom tom has just a "don't exceed this speed limit or I'll give you a loud 'bong' feature that helps on an interstate.

Multiple options on how you want the screen portrayed...facts on the side to bottom, for example. Choose which facts you want displayed. Displays the name of the road you are on and the next one you will be turning onto as well as distance to that point.

I'm not sure I'd buy into this technology at the $300 price point, you may not like it. It took my wife about 2 years of my using it before she started to feel comfortable with the idea. You can get well more than basic for the $150 point if you watch the sales. And with all things, the about to be replaced models are the ones on sale.

One warning...if there is a new road that closes an old one, all of them can get totally confused until they can get their maps updated. They opened a bypass that went through the country and it really was insistent I turn around or turn into a corn field. Sometimes you are right and it is wrong.

Two warning...learn to listen and not look as you can get distracted and CRASH. I've seen it happen to people.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote