View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
sbhodge

Unhappy Boxster stops while driving

Hi everyone.
This is a bit of a long story I am sorry. :ah:
I have a 2001 Boxster S Tiptronic. Purchased it privately and on the first day I was driving it the engine stalled. I coasted it to the side of the road and after a few attempts to start it turned over and I was on my way again for a short while. Happened again another 5 times.
As I do live in a town without a porsche service centre I had to wait for a Porsche Service Centre mechanic to be flown down. This happens about twice a year. He diagnosed three coils had died, did a full service and sent me on my way. Car seemed to be not quite right and eventually had a similar problem 3 months later. I took it to my local mechanic who is very helpful. He diagnosed that the other 3 coils had failed, replaced them and the car ran really well for about two weeks.
I was driving on the highway when I lost total power and all of the lights came on the dash. Tried restarting and could hear the motor trying to turn over but it would not start. Sat there for 5 minutes before restarting it and headed back home. Drove beautifully once again for a couple of minutes before doing the same thing another few times til I got it home. It starts first go from a cold start but instead of starting in second gear it is in first. Still feels pretty smooth if I rev it but with a slight rough idle (if that makes any sense).
I am leaning towards a crank sensor issue. Can anyone give me some advice please.

Last edited by sbhodge; 01-07-2011 at 05:37 PM.
sbhodge is offline   Reply With Quote