View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Deserion
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Impending IMS failure?

'04 2.7L manual w/ 68,900 miles, have had it for about 2.5 weeks (picked it up with 67,375). I did have Kennedy Motorsports in Daytona Beach do a PPI before I got it, and they said it came back great and the compression on all cylinders was in good shape.

On cold starts, I get a faint rattling sound for about 10 seconds before it goes away (and the idle drops). It sort of sounds like it's coming from the exhaust, generally lasts longer if the engine and ambient temperature is colder. I don't really notice it once the car is warmed up to operating temperature.

After reading through 101 Projects last night, I'm growing concerned that the IMS bearing is on its way south. Can anyone offer some insight into the sounds? It's not so much of a "glunk glunk" as it is a rattle that's only temporary. Seems to run fine and pull hard.

I'm going to have Brumos check it out this afternoon to get their diagnosis of the sound and see if the timing has any variations. I had planned on doing the IMS retrofit anyway (just to be safe), but hadn't planned on doing it just yet.

Any ideas if I'm going to be hosed or okay? Thanks for the help, guys.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote