View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
mikefocke

I understand your addiction

we all have it to a certain extent.

While in some areas a Porsche is just a car, in other areas it is a bit special. Limited number so lots of things special. Parts expensive. Mechanics who truly know how to maintain them are rare and expensive. While many well maintained and often driven Boxsters make it for many many more fairly reliable miles beyond what this one has, you are entering into 13 year old and fairly high mileage territory and can expect to need to replace a few things just because of age. Your Chevy will be cheaper and easier to service. (I wish I knew of a place that would do my 90k service for $750 and knew what they were doing...how many Porsches do they have on their lot right now?)

My advice: Save your money. Changing cars means paying transaction costs. Maintain the car you have and you know is good. Once you are out of school, have saved some money and are still single, then look for the toy car. For most of us, it will be until the kids are out of college until we can afford a toy car again. I should have bought that Mustang in 65 instead of the Alfa.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote