View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
spennybenny

Another "help out a potiential Boxster owner" thread

First things first, I want to apologize for being "that guy" by posting this. I've been lurking around for a week or so in my pending trade and have found a lot of valuable info, so thank you.

Here's the story.

I'm 19, typical near-broke college student still living under my parents roof.
As of now I own a 2000 Z28 Camaro Convertible 6 speed in amazing condition from the original owner about 9 months ago. Well maintained, she used it to commute about 200 miles round trip (Rocklin to San Jose for you Cali folks) thus racking up the 176k miles it currently has. Before purchasing the Camaro I was worried about the mileage and did plenty of research only to find out the LS1s are amazing and surpass 200k frequently with proper maintainence. Still today I have yet to put more than $500 in it and feel as if I got a screaming deal at $5k.

I love the car, but I get bored with everything eventually and find myself trading cars quite often. Someone has approached me about trading for a 1997 silver on boxster red 5 speed with 85k miles. Like always, I hope online and research the car by its forums. I immediately become bombarded with tons of red flags relating to early boxsters were the worst, IMS/RMS failures, D chunk, etc and its breaking my heart. I absolutely love these cars.

I give the guy a shot anyways and meet up with him to take a look. The exterior was extremely clean minus a few paint chips from highway driving and I noticed it was fitted with the 997's standard 19's on brand new tires =]. The top was in mint condition and there was not a dent on the body anywhere.

The interior, not so nice, as the seats were much more worn than mine and it just felt old (tape players, late 90's feel, etc.) it was quite dirty as well.

Taking a look underneath the car I failed to notice any leaks of any kind, even after the car had sat for a good half an hour after having driven for 75 miles. It looked like a great example of a well taken care of 14 year old car.

Lone and behold, I took my first drive in a Boxster (having driven a 2000 996) and it is unlike anything I have ever driven before. I am addicted and I do not know what else to do. Sure its a bit underpowered compared to the monsterous LS1 that sits under the Camaro's hood, but hitting the backroads with this car was simply unbelievable.

He is the third owner of the vehicle and has it pretty well documented service wise, but my concern is that none of these mention anything being replaced other than the water pump and a coolant tank of some sort. No clutch (although it felt great, and I mean great as I upshifted to and from 4-6k frequently) no suspension (although again it handled amazing with no squeeks or anything funny sounding)the top opened and shut perfectly, no IMS or RMS mentioned anywhere. While I am left to believe it is a good example of a potential 100k mile club member, my family is strongly suggesting me against it. I got a quote for the 90k service fromt eh local mechanic (frank's automotive) in Sac at 750 bucks, but from the looks of what everyone has been saying they are a breeze to maintain (I have a lift =] ).

Am I to be concerned? should I walk away? anything I can find out to further provide assurance on the vehicle or am I looking at a probable car that will ruin me.

any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

(EDIT: I am aware of the fact 97s werent made to run 19s and therefore will be selling them)
spennybenny is offline   Reply With Quote