View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #113
danyl55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
While it's sad and very depressing to read about engine failures on our cars (especially ones with so few miles), one must keep in mind that we haven't heard from the thousands of others with no problems at all. As is ALWAYS the case with these type of forums. One only hears about the problem children and not the A students. Like mine for instance. 58,000 miles and the only issues with it so far have been an ignition switch failure ($29 diy fix with an audi switch from the local dealer) and a short in the driver's seat heater (not fixed yet simply because it doesn't bother me and isn't causing any other problems). Otherwise its' been trouble free. No MAF issue, no top issues, no broken chain tensioners (oh wait.. that was the 911!!) nothing. Change the oil, brake pads, and various filters, get new tires occasionally and that's about it. And yes.. I take it to the track. (ok.. so I've probably jinxed myself)

It's truly sad and I sympathize with those who have had engine failures. Unfortunately, there's no way at all to determine the actual failure rate. We don't know if its .0005% or 5%. Of the thousands and thousands of Boxsters sold, how many owners post here and on the other forums? Not that many. And Porsche won't release any info about failures. Any "surveys" one might see on the net are suspect at best, and probably (certainly??) not statistically sound. They're interesting to read but, sadly once again, one can't draw any valid conclusioins from them. If only........................

Maybe we should start a thread about our UNbroken Boxsters.

Bob
good idea Bob--my 97 has 120k and only a water pump replaced and routine maint. I don't track the car--just enjoy the hell out of it in the twisty mountains.
danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote