View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 AM   #15
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoit

I realize that pre purchase I have some amount of control in how reliable my boxster will be. I am simply looking into different options that may solve some core issues and get me closer to the perfect fit. All that said I am well aware that there is no cure all to any situation. That amount of risk I am more than willing to take to own and drive one of these cars. I have set a very conservative purchase budget that allows for regular costs and worst case scenarios yet allows me to own the car I want with the features I want. In other words i cant buy an 05 or 06 s and have a parachute but I sure can buy 00-02 and have a parachute. My final investigation is along the lines of this thread...maybe a 98 with a new raby motor is even a better idea than an 02s Your pages led me to this sensibility and willingness to consider many options before purchase, thank you again.

I look forward to the day mid summer when I can say ok here she is, and thank the many folks who helped me along in making a wise purchase.

I didn't mean to scare you off, but it's good you are doing your research and are informed about what you are getting into. If I were looking today, I would find a well taken care of 2003-2004 S model (obviously I'm partial to the 04 S Special Edition) and immediately get the basic engine upgrades done. You live realtively close to Jake Raby so getting the upgrades done would be easy.

The market on these cars (and most all sports cars for that matter) is really soft right now so some very good deals can be had. Put the engine upgrades into your purchase budget upfront, get it done, then go have a blast and sleep like a baby without this stuff to worry about......aside from the engine issues (which is a big deal, but can be fixed), these really are great cars in almost every way.

Good luck.
Attached Images

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)

Last edited by mts; 12-30-2010 at 04:05 AM.
mts is offline   Reply With Quote