View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
jcoit

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I am continuing my trek better educated. Kudos to the forum for being the best resource I have come across to date in making an educated step back into sports cars. Its been three kids and 20 long years since I had two sports cars and three high performance road racing motorcycles in my garage. I havent forgot the cost or long hours spent in the garage maintaining my hobbies early in life.

Mike Focke. The first resource I utilized was your pages. Thanks for taking the time to put that together. I definitely finished that study with a smarter consumer feeling. At the very least I was well aware of the development of the boxster and where my likes and desires fit in the model years. Just reading that section of your page saved me 10-15 grand. Thank you sir.

In regards to your financial advise I guess I should clarify my stance. I am in knee jerk phase at the moment. I have been overwhelmed with sad stories about massive engine failures. Everything from I just paid 18000 and 300 miles from the dealership a big puff of smoke came out and there I was needing a 12000 motor replacement, to "But it really sucks when yours is the one to go. 50% of the Porsches I have owned (100% of the Boxsters) have experienced an engine failure.....statististically speaking that makes me.... Bottom line if one only read that far no one in their right mind would buy one of these cars. Fortunately I read on.

I realize that pre purchase I have some amount of control in how reliable my boxster will be. I am simply looking into different options that may solve some core issues and get me closer to the perfect fit. All that said I am well aware that there is no cure all to any situation. That amount of risk I am more than willing to take to own and drive one of these cars. I have set a very conservative purchase budget that allows for regular costs and worst case scenarios yet allows me to own the car I want with the features I want. In other words i cant buy an 05 or 06 s and have a parachute but I sure can buy 00-02 and have a parachute. My final investigation is along the lines of this thread...maybe a 98 with a new raby motor is even a better idea than an 02s Your pages led me to this sensibility and willingness to consider many options before purchase, thank you again.

I look forward to the day mid summer when I can say ok here she is, and thank the many folks who helped me along in making a wise purchase.
jcoit is offline   Reply With Quote