View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Drove 4 Carreras today

A buddy of mine is shopping for 911s. I went with him to the dealership today and we drive 4 different 911s, C4S manual, C4S PDK, Targa4 PDK, and a standard Carrera manual. The PDK C4S had PASM, the 6-speed had the sport crono plus, the Targa 4 and Carrera had the standard suspension. All had 19 inch wheels.

My impressions:
-The PDK is so smooth, you can't feel the shifts. It's a great auto shifing transmission.
-The 6 speed makes the more involving experience. Driving around on the streets with the PDK is pretty much the same experience as an automatic. The stick shift is still the more involving car.
-The RWD car is noticeably lighter on it's feet, more tactile, and more entertaining to drive.
-The Targa is ALOT of glass.
-We both agreed, the standard suspension has better feedback and is preferred, even to the sport mode in the crono package. Even though the Targa is heavier and the Carrera is lighter than the 2 C4Ss, both cars with the standard suspension were more alive than the ones with PASM.
-The 3.8 is pretty torquey and more powerful than the 3.6, but on the street, the difference probably isn't worth the cost.
-I wouldn't take any of them over my Boxster.

My buddy went into the dealership thinking that he wanted the C4S and was undecided about the transmission. Now he's totally confused because the car we both liked the most wasn't the one he expected and he liked both transmissions for different reasons. I told him to buy 2 cars, but I don't think he's cool with that plan.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote