View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
So I have seen some threads in the past asking about the cheap 100$ ebay headers... so here is one for anyone who has them and has an update on the performance and quality/longevity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-986-97-98-99-2-5L-6-2-1-Exhaust-Header-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aBoxsterQQhashZitem 2c593e64f7QQitemZ190475822327QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

that one there is like 85 shipped and for that price it seems so cheap why not try.
/
however, what are some of the things that need to be done to the car? does it have to be flashed for ROW in order to not throw codes? what would i need to do to get these into my car and go completely cat-less?
Adam is correct. Unlike the 2.7 and 3.2 engines that utilize four cats (two of which are incorporated into the headers), the 2.5 variant only uses one set that are located further down stream. Therefore, you could conceivably change headers and still have the vehicle remain OBD II compliant. Whether or not a set of $85.00 headers found on on Ebay is the appropriate choice is another question.

Addendum: Now that I see that your vehicle is a 2.7, that raises two immediate concerns. First, by eliminating the oem header/pre-cat set up, your vehicle will no longer be OBD II compliant. Secondly, it was my experience that "going catless" resulted in a significant loss of low end and mid range torque. This has been commented upon in numerous threads.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 12-21-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote