View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
baxster

model year info / my 1st drive

Hi,

I took my first test drive in a Boxster today. Very nice! It was an 04 5spd with 51k miles. I think I love it.

I've been having a blast for the last 12 years in my 96 Miata and have decided it's time to up my game. I was thinking about a Mazdaspeed Miata, then I test drove two S2000's for my first time today. The sales guy asked if I also wanted to test a Boxster; I almost said no. Maybe I should have because now I don't think I can go back to the Miata or S2000.

The way my Miata is prepped, it can pretty much keep up with or beat almost anything on a tight twisty road, but it's... a Miata. The S2000 feels like a more refined Miata in some ways, but I've read about isolated steering feedback and snap over-steer (couldn't verify either on the test ride on wet city streets with the sales guy beside me).

I would describe the Boxster as guttural. The sound and feel (steering, suspension, torque) was beautiful. So now I'm stuck looking for a Boxster. I say stuck because I'm a detail freak and I hate the process, but I gotta do it.

So here goes. I'll research the info on this forum. I just need to know where I can find model year information. I'm looking for the significant changes for the different years. I also need to know what problems to watch for in the different years. For example, something called IMS failure sounds bad, but I'm sure not all years suffer from the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help. I should have driven one of these sooner. I also said that about the Miata when I bought one. Both great cars in different leagues.

Last edited by baxster; 12-17-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: detail freak
baxster is offline   Reply With Quote