View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
mike123

Tiptronic Problem '02 Boxster

Hello fellow Boxster owners,

I recently purchased a arctic silver 2002 Boxster (non S) with 120K miles on it for $6k. The previous owner told me that he replaced the transmission at 90K in 2007 and also provided receipts to back his claim..$5300 job. On the test drive I noticed at low speed it has a faint "loose change" sound coming from under the car that goes away at higher speeds. I figured the cats would need replacing soon and I didn't notice anything else. The car runs so smooth, shifts smooth, sounds great, looks great so I purchased it from him.

After a month of driving around town the check engine light came on probably due to cats going bad so I didn't worry to much about that and kept driving. A few weeks after that I couldn't go into "M" mode and it locked out the tip completely and would only work in auto mode with "4, D" flashing back an fourth. So I go grab the manual and read that the transmission is in some kind of safety mode. The car drives fine in auto, so I drove to a local shop I know that works on foreign auto and made an appointment.

I still drove around town in "safety" mode for a few days then started to get scared that I might be messing up the trans even more so parked it until I took it back the shop. It's been to nice out here in CA to not drive my convertible so I started driving again then the strangest thing happened....the Tip started working again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this.. I go into the shop Thursday and the mechanic seen the 4,D flashing.

Thanks
mike123 is offline   Reply With Quote