View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
PB2002

Steve:

The voltage increases 0.20 volts to about 13.3 when the engine is revs, I would have thought it to be higher. I set up a separate ground to another bolt on the frame and this did not make much difference, in fact the voltage actually dropped abit into the 12.8 volt range. I clean the ground wire to the battery terminal again and where it is bolted to the frame (about 10 inches away), both places showed no signs of corrosion.

I am a bit shocked if the alternator is bad as I just purchased it and installed it last week. I will see if I can find someone that can load test it before I yank it out and send it back. Please let me know if anything else comes to mind.

I will let you know where I come out on this....

PB2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
PB - the alternator voltage does seem a low @ 13.1 v. What does the voltage go up to when you increase the engine revs?
When I installed my underspeed pulley (which actually runs the alternator at a lower speed) I was getting 14.1 v @ 750rpm and 14.5 v @ 1250 rpm.
Your initial low voltage could be a faulty alternator, or a high resistance ground.
To really know the answer to a faulty alternator you need to load test it - most auto-electrical places (preferably Bosch agents) will be able to do this.
PB2002 is offline   Reply With Quote