View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 AM   #7
Jinster

Ok, my door auto unlocking is in fact due to broken wires on the passenger door side - detailed in my other thread.

Back to the driver side "wiggle" DLM socket/plug phenomenon, my cable tie solution started to fail after a few weeks. So I decided to do what sb01box did - open the DLM and re-solder those joints.

But I got lucky.

Instead of opening the DLM, I tried heating those joints by applying the soldering iron to the pins through the socket on the DLM. All the while having faith that the solder on the joints would melt and re-solidify without me seeing any of it happening.

And it worked! No more window problem and "wiggle DLM socket to fix" phenomenon!

Of course, anyone with some soldering experience knows that you don't need to apply the iron directly to the solder joint to melt it. The challenge (and luck) here is to make sure when the solder re-solidifies, it holds the pin to the circuit board rather than forming a ball on the pin and comes off the circuit board completely.

Credit goes to sb01box who thought of opening the DLM to re-solder everything in the first place. That was my intention today until I got lucky.
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT

Last edited by Jinster; 12-02-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote