View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Surfncpa

Might as well use this thread instead of making a new one.

I found a mechanic. The problem wasn't hard to find. More correctly, the initial cause of the problem wasn't hard to find. Rodents. Chewed wires, droppings, etc. He said it was unlikely that it happened since my purchase because I drive it every day. Good to know I don't have to call an exterminator at least.

A quick internet search shows many stories of this happening to cars. That doesn't make me feel any better, though, since the damage probably would have been caught before I bought it if I had had someone inspect it for me. Live and learn. I had never bought a used car before.

The mechanic says the engine wiring harness needs to be replaced at about $2800. He said he can't guarantee that will fix the engine problem but he was 70-80% sure. He said the fuel lines have been damaged, which probably exlains why it takes 15 minutes to fill up the tank, and that would run another $1100.

I'm not looking for sympathy for the big repair bill, just sharing the story to add to the knowledge base here. I expected some whopper repair bill since I bought it so cheap. What bothers me the most is being without my Boxster for the next several days while it gets fixed. I am already having issues with this unplanned seperation.
Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote