View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
favino1006

Tiptronic Rear Differential Oil Change

Hey Guys,

Just recently hit the 90k mark and I'm about to change the transmission fluid and the rear differential oil in my 98' tip (btw, thanks for the great write-up Andy!). Anyhow, after searching through posts for a couple of hours and my bentley book, I'm amazed at the lack of information pertaining to changing the rear differential oil. I haven't been able to find any info other than the type of oil and quantity. It appears the tip's have a fill plug on the side but no drain plug. And of course, unlike the manuals, the trans. and rear diff. don't share oil on the tips. From what I've read in the Bentley, I need to remove the differential cover and the drive axle and flange to let the oil run out!! Which sounds like a pretty ridiculous job to me ...So considering there is just under a liter of oil in there, I'm thinking of going in through the fill plug with a turkey baster with a bit of hose to siphon out the oil and then refill with new Royal Purple.

Does anyone have any helpful info they'd care to share? I think i'm going to hit up pelican for the ZF LT71141 ATF and the other trans. odds and ends. Anyone by chance have a source or any info for the rear diff. fill plug replacement seal? Any other better sources for ANY of the above mentioned items?

Thanks in advance for your insight and help guys!!
-ian
favino1006 is offline   Reply With Quote