View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Jinster

Guys, I just want to say something here. I am not taking sides, but simply trying to give this a more rationalised perspective.

I just would like to say that the Porsche warranty on the pump is unlikely to be useful if it costs 3 times as much as the Laso brand, unless Porsche is also willing to fix any engine problems caused by the pump failure for free. I mean who needs Porsche's warranty if you can just buy another Laso replacement and still come out cheaper? And we are not even touching on Laso's own warranty program yet.

Are we certain that Laso is not an OEM manufacturer? There is no reason why Porsche would stick to one factory for OEM supplies. Porsche has two car assembly plants themselves in different countries.

Jake and other repairers - no disrepect to anyone, but is it possible that they simply saw a couple of failures of a pump of a certain brand and got spooked? Who knows the details on the strength of rationales behind what caused these recommendations by workshops? And if indeed they saw many Laso branded water pumps fail, how does anyone know this is not because there are simply more Laso branded pumps out there?

If you think about this from Laso's perspective, they are a factory that has the capacity to make water pumps. They must surely supply more pumps to the auto industry than just Porsche Boxster pumps. If their pumps failed on such regularity that one is being told to avoid them, then Laso would either be out of business relatively quickly, or be improving their manufacturing skills. Are we talking about Porsche's 1% failure vs Laso's 2% failure rate here? A doubling of failures for sure, but not that significant from a single user perspective.

Anyway, just my $0.02
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT

Last edited by Jinster; 11-22-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote