View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
davemon

Sounds like something is just caught in there.

2000miles into my 3500 mile roadtrip, I fire up the car after stopping for dinner. Belt starts a very mild squeek, increases with revs but VERY minimal. Put the car into first, I hear a "flap........ flap......... flap........." noise as I roll down the street. Coming from behind the passengers, somewhere behind us we can hear this. It kind of sounds like it is coming from the passenger side wheel well, cannot pinpoint while driving. So I move up the revs and shift into second "flap... flap" noise still emanating sounds like every few rotations of a wheel or something a light "flap." noise. Increasing as the car speed does.

I put a little movement into the throttle, and then this happens all within a 1 second time span:
1) the motor torques up ~500 rpms
2) but no power to the wheels,
3) then all the power to the wheels and the rear tires even squeek like I just hard dropped it into gear.
4) Flap noise is gone. Belt squeek is gone.

I cruise around for 5 days and 1500 more miles, no problems, no noises, seemingly perfect 2.7L.

My passenger said "sounds like something just got caught in there... and it worked itself out." I agree that is what it sounded like but I joked and said what in where? Pieces of palms trees don't just get "caught" in the motor. Or maybe it did?

Anyone have any idea WTF happened? I have a shot in the dark theory but want to hear some experts' opinions first.