View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Mark_T

Hi Kelly,

I guess it's a bit late to tell you to never raise or lower the top when it's below 50F. Judging by what looks like frost on your trunk, there's a pretty good chance that you are right about the damage being self-inflicted. Oh well - live and learn. It's not the end of the world and it's not going to be too wickedly expensive to fix.

My rear window was in rough shape when I bought my car, too. I looked at the various options to replace just the window- auto upholstery shops, boat upholsterers, doing it myself, having it done on the car, off the car - and came to a bottom line that no matter who did it, or how much or little it cost, it would look like like a hand-sewn replacement job and I wouldn't be happy with it.

I ended up replacing the whole top. I found a very well made top at Prestige Auto Trim in the UK for about $500 shipped and changed it out myself. I had a buddy assist me with the job and that was a good call. It's not a job you want to tackle all alone. I won't say it was an easy job, but with the help of Mike Focke's DIY it turned out very well and I was pretty happy to save the installation fee, which would have been about $800.

If I was to do it again, I would buy an entire 4-bow top, frame and all, from 03-04 model so I could get a factory glass window. I would not go with a glass window replacement for a 3-bow top as the window is quite small and it restricts access to the engine compartment. Plus the bright orange defroster lines on some of the aftermarket glass window tops are just heinous.

Good luck!

Mark

Last edited by Mark_T; 11-01-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote