View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
clueless1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Surely all you Canucks up in the great white north know that skinny snow tires work WAY better than wide tires on snow and ice. I'm just an old ski bum from California but we learned that lesson back in the 70s. Find a set of 17s and go 205 Front and 225 rear. The money you save in tire expense will probably pay for a decent set of 17 takeoff rims. If you fill, sand and paint your old 18 rims you can sell them tomorrow for $400 cause they will look like new.

thanks topless, i appreciate the post ... mainly because i came to the same conclusion myself yesterday while trying to figure out sensible minus sizing on my own ... and I was wondering if i was nuts or had stumbled across a correct solution. And sure enough, yup, the money i save on tires will pay for rims, if i can find a cheap set which seems to be harder than i anticipated.

I still have a few questions remaining.

If i run 225/45/r17 in the rear with factory fronts, am i correct i will push the car toward neutral but not into oversteer? Anything I think to think about re inflation pressures?

I am thinking 7.5s would be optimal for a 225 (and i think should fit a 205 ok) ... any thoughts about cayenne wheels (17x7.5 et53) all around? I know they are heavy (27 lbs/wheel) ... would this be good or bad. Aren't most of the stock boxster 17 rears 9 inch?

Re winter tires, are things like speed ratings, N ratings, etc relevant ... or does it make sense to just buy the best winter tire (which is what I am strongly leaning toward)? If anyone has a comment about studded/non-studded for edmonton, ab I'm all ears too.
clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote