View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
well if you look at the Boxster concept car that made the big splash in 1993 and the "less is more" version that first came off the assembly line.....there was definitely a big difference.

to many, this would be considered "ricer" like:

I have to disagree there, perfectlap. You're right in that, to some, that may be considered "ricey", but that'd have to be a very small number of people. The term is usually reserved for when someone tacks on a bunch of unnecessary crap (like a shopping cart wing on any front wheel drive car) or does something outrageous like paint their Boxster pearlescent pink with lime green powdercoated wheels with a chrome lip. To me the concept is a very natural-looking, clean design, and quite fitting of the minimalist/purist "less is more" belief. The flair was penned in from the start, it didn't have to be bolted on, and it looked good just like that. The chromey bits and black wheels don't necessarily make the car ricey, and Porsche could have gone very crazy with this car, but didn't.

I do agree on the appearance of the new Spyder, though, no need to advertise with an Eat at Joe's vinyl splattered on the sides.

Now the 918 Spyder, on the other hand, while again not ricey, can be considered a bit much in some ways.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote