View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
Update:
Took the car to the local p-car shop and there were no fault codes for the transmission. He said the next step is a transmission service (fluid/filter change). If that doesn't work, I guess its supposedly something internal in the transmission and i'd have to get a new one. ...or in my case, scratch the car

I just can't understand (and I don't know much about transmissions) how it would be an internal problem if it shifts fine in manual mode though. Any thoughts?
While I understand that you wouldn't want to drive the car with what's clearly a problem, why not just drive the car in manual mode from now on anyways? A little button push isn't a whole lot extra work, and you'll get to keep the revs from going too low.

I'm curious to see what the problem does turn out to be. Somehow I don't think it's related to fluid if you're able to row through all of them in manual.

I don't think you covered this in your previous posts, but you mentioned that there's slipping happening when you're in drive. Does the same slipping happen in manual? If so, your suspicion of the torque converter may indeed be on target. Also, is this slipping you're experiencing resulting in the car trying to shift to a different gear, or is it slipping and staying in the same gear in which it occurs?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote