View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
clueless1

Edmonton ... where winter has already arrived. Regrettably.

one of the problems is though you are right, 19s look so much nicer. even if i went with 18s in the summer, i would need new rims. my 18s now are not shiny, bubbling/peeling. generally not looking good, detracting from the rest of the car.

i was thinking 18" hakk 7's might be better than 17" non-studded. i can't find the hakks in 17" with the right aspect ratio. Even in the 18" I would have to move down to a 255 rather than a 265 if I wanted hakk 7s. Even that will cost me twice as much as non-studded LM25s -- and the best 18" non-studded I have a line on are the 235 fronts. Hard for me to imagine 10mm plus or minus would make that much of a difference, and I see lots of posts with guys running alternative sizes, but I don't have any definitive info regarding what is possible with a boxster re plus or minus sizing. Interestingly, since its wheel width that should matter for winter tires, I have been surprised at the focus on smaller wheels rather than minus sizing, which to this uninformed reader seems like it would be more important?

I have not been able to find a lot of selection at either the 18" or the 17" OEM sizes. Plus I don't wanna spend a bunch of money unnecessarily, and $700 give or take for a set of 17" rims .... I dunno. Also, since I'll be doing mainly city driving it will be mainly slush and ice i'm dealing with.
clueless1 is offline   Reply With Quote