View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Drew J

Just bought a Boxster S, what should I know?

I just bought a 2000 Porsche Boxster S that I will be picking up next week. I'm extremely excited about it. What I really want to know is, well, everything you know about Boxsters. What to look out for, preventative maintenance that is more important than Porsche's owner's manual will tell me, for instance what the actual oil change interval is if the 15,000mi recommended from Porsche is a tad too long. Also what oil I should go with. From what I'm reading online, it looks like Mobil 1 10W30 would be about right for south Alabama weather.

Also, I'll probably be doing some of the cheaper/bolt-on performance upgrades in the coming months, after I've driven it a while and gotten a feel for if/where I want better performance. A guy in Atlanta (the closest city with Porsche performance shops) http://www.roocksport.com/ quoted me $2500 for headers, new intake, and ECU reflash. From the 3-4 other places I've called, that sounds about right, and actually a little less than the others. He also had a German accent, which I like :P . I'm not really interested in making it screaming fast, but I would like a near-5 second 0-60 if possible. I'm not paying much for car, and it is somewhat high mileage at 70,000mi so I doubt I'll hold onto it for more than 3-4 years before trading. A short throw shifter might also be in the cards, but like I said earlier this is all subjective. I may very well decide it's fine the way it is, though knowing my history with car mods and my love of speed, I doubt it. My question is, going with headers, exhaust(maybe eventually), intake, ECU reflash, and a short throw, are there any glaringly obvious things that you've found need improvement?

Yeah, so that's pretty much all my questions. Thanks.

Oh, here are some pictures for anyone curious: http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/2090/photos/600394
Drew J is offline   Reply With Quote