View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
RandallNeighbour

Interesting factiod about TWS...

They don't allow car clubs to use just the oval (like NASCAR would use) because taking banked turns in only one direction lap after lap starves the motor of oil and burns up motors in short order. Cars designed to go around and around in one direction are evidently modded with more than just special alignment settings, but with large scavenge pumps and enlarged oil pans.

When I drove TWS last, which was nearly two years ago, I was only able to get to 115 simply because I didn't have enough straight track to drive faster and I wasn't skilled enough to come out of the last turn fast enough to hit the straightaway at speed.

However, I've sustained 161 mph in a new Carrera Cabriolet on the autobahn just outside of Berlin in 2001. It was quiet, smooth, and I really got the feeling that the car was built for it and "enjoying it."

161 mph was fast. The exits on the freeway went by like lamp posts between exits on US freeways at 70 mph.

One high speed DE really cured me of wanting to drive my car really fast. Now I just want to drive it well on a track and move up to a run class where I don't need an instructor screaming in my ear.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote