View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Apparently lots of people drive these cars right through the winter. Probably not much of a problem in NYC or Toronto where it never really gets that cold. I would be worried about starting it up when the temp's down around -30, not uncommon here in mid-winter. Has anyone fitted a block heater to these cars? Do they have frost plugs in accessible locations?
I don't want to deviate from this thread but there are a few Porsches that are driven year round in Alaska in -30F and colder temps. Many manufacturers also cold weather test their cars in Alaska and Sweden including Porsche so they can be used in the cold. You just have to prepare for it. Speaking with some Porsche owners there, air cooled VWs and Porsches are even better in the cold than most other cars.
I didn't have my Boxster there but I used my VW GTI year round with no block heater. I just had an oil pan heater and battery pad/warmer/trickle charger and it was fine as long as you plugged the car in overnight. January temps would get below -65F. At those temps, if there was no place to plug into, you had to keep the engine running. With the Porsche having an all aluminum engine case it would propably be ok with just having an oil pan heater and battery pad/blanket. Just remember to plug in when you're parked. I would run an extension from the battery blanket and trickle charger to the rear and have those two plugs and the oil pan heater plug come together into a three way and have the plug exit out the rear. That way you keep the higher powered heater with the shortest cord. You'll just have to back up to your outlet.
The other thing to consider is don't mess with any plastic parts. All plastic parts get as brittle as glass. And get Blizzak tires. They're better than chains.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote