View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
AndyA6
Carnut

We were invited to the Porsche driving event!!

Oh man, that was fun!!

My wife and I participated Monday morning in the Porsche driving event out at the Miller Motorsports Park in Toelle/Utah, 30 mins outside Salt Lake City.

It was a blast!

Porsche invited us, lucky us, met at the dealership (Dave Strong, SLC) and took a bus out there. The race track has really nice facilities, I was there many times watching ALMS and other events.

We were met by at least 12 Porsche people, breakfast was served, short intro, then they divided us in 3 groups with 9 persons in each group. The average age of the group was approx. 55, I was one of the younger guys.....

First up was taking a new Cayenne Turbo off road
We tested hill descend function (kind of wired to let the vehicle do the braking, no feet on the pedals!) and some pretty extreme angels, people were actually screaming! We all had the chance to drive ourselves.

Next was track driving, we used the west course. An instructor took the lead and we followed in various cars which were a 6 cyl. RWD Panamera, a Cayenne S, and a C4S. It was "spirited" driving. Make no mistake, tires were squealing in each corner! Most surprising was the Panamera, the 8-speed gearbox makes the car! Pretty fast, too! With the C4S I wish we could go faster.

The third part was taking a Boxster S, a Cayenne Turbo and, wait for it, a Boxster Spyder around an autocross track. All of us were driving with an instructor sitting next to us giving us advice. THAT was great!! They totally succeeded to wet my appetite for more! Even my wife was completly taken and wants more, she even indicated that we should mod our Boxster to match the Spyder!

The S was very nice, too, nothing special in terms of options, regular shocks etc but with PDK. I was surprised by the effect the "sport plus" button has, changes the car a lot.

The Spyder was a blast, I can see this as the best handling car around these days!

The Cayenne Turbo is simply scary! SO much power!

The instructors gave me some good advice and I am proud to report that I did not drive over any cones

Last was a blast around the race track with the instructors driving the Panamera and Cayenne S, well, was ok but I'd rather drive myself!

So, thank you Porsche! It was a really nice Monday morning and hopefully we can do this again one day!

Later,
Andy