View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
harryrcb
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrubaker
Thanks for the thread, I'm the guy looking for the same information so this was very useful and I don't need to re-run the thread. I'm looking at a 100k car 00-01 S as I'm in the 'austerity' mode and figure for 12-15k I can get back in a Boxster if I am willing to go with more miles, I've contemplated a late '80's 911 but doubt I'll go that route. I've had a '98 Boxster, an '01 S and an '05 S, and loved them all, right now I've been in a Miata for the last 2 years and I can't believe the difference in the comfort of the cockpit between the Miata and the Boxsters, performance aside there is just no comparison, the Miata sucks.

The question I have is cost for the IMS correction, I sent a note off to Flat 6 and will reach out to them but I figure there are ballpark costs for that correction. Also I haven't heard much about the AOS issue, can someone give me a relative order of magnitude on cost and a quick description of what the symptoms are for this?
the part is between 5 +600.00 depending on which bearing you have, labor is around 10-12 hrs you can do the math on what your shop charges, the trans has to come out as does your clutch and flywheel, so while you are in there you might as wel1 consider changing the clutch which costs around 500, so it's not cheap but worth it in the long run, go to LN Engineering web site and read his explanation of what and why things go wrong.
the AOS problem is simply put a crankcase breather that stops working, instead of returning the oil back to the crankase it fills up you intake manifold with oil, which makes a considerable amount of smoke come out your exhaust. Sometimes when you push it hard through a turn it injest enough oil to choke the engine which as you can imagine is not good. suncoast porsche sells a motorsport version of the AOS for aroung 650 which is supposed to eliminate this problem, It has worked on mine so far. Hope this was helpful, good luck with your decision.