View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 AM   #18
Lawdevil

Well said, Mike.

I will certainly miss the board as I made a lot of friends there - although I can't say I will miss the political discussions which often became nasty and personal. As one of the few resident liberals, I always tried to keep my political views civil and respectful of the views of others. That became increasingly difficult and I found myself just biting my tongue and hitting the delete key more and more. I guess it is not surprising that the vast majority of folks on a Porsche board would be of the more conservative persuasion.

I know Allegator is getting a lot of flack for this - but lets face it - Allegator had absolutely no power to shut down the board - I think Rob was just looking for a reason to get out of what had become a very frustrating and possibly unrewarding job for him.

It would be great if someone would take over the board or provide something similar - however, if that happens, I would hope that the political discourse could either be eliminated or moved to a separate forum on the board.

Cheers - hope to see some of my old friends here soon (and at BRBS).

mike (Lawdevil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
that occurs when you try and run a public forum with thousands of users each wanting it their way. In this case "run" means everything from maintaining the hardware to providing the ISP to configuring the software to doing backups to answering users requests/emails/demands... ....

Sometimes you rethink that emotional outburst but sometimes, on reflection, you feel that you feel better for stopping the pain.

While I much preferred the highly moderated politics free environment that existed when Chuck ran the board, I grew to tolerate Rob and Cecil's occasional forays into political opinion as a small price to pay for maintaining the active forum that it was...perhaps 5 to 10 times more active than any other I've found.
Lawdevil is offline   Reply With Quote