View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggerq
I am not aware of the fuse issue but had a similar issue with ONE cable end breaking allowing only one side to be driven.
Something to consider would be to look at the gearbox with which the cables are inserted via anodised clips.

Remove the clip by carefully puling up. pull out the cable and look at the end. ( it will have a small amount of grease that will need to be removed). If the cable end is indeed broken then firstly you will have to look and remove any residual cable left inside the port on the motor gearbox. I had this problem and found that instead of buying a new cable there was sufficient square left on the cable to allow me to remove the silver collett and (carefully!!) using a pipe cutter, remove 10-15mm of the black cable sheath. Replace the silver collett and feed back into the motor drive unit.

It would seem strange however that BOTH of the cable ends had gone at the same time?

Just and idea.......
I'm with you on that, stiggerq. While I'm not sure if by "closed position" he means top up or top down...to me it'd mean top up...if it's stuck with the top up, he wouldn't know if the thing is having issues both ways as it won't lower for him to try raising it. And if it's stuck open and won't go up to close, then he has no way to check that it still lowers as it doesn't raise.

I'd be surpried if both went as well, but he might as well check them both out if he can. If one's going the other's probably not far behind, right?

So you were able to re-use the cable? Did you have to remove any of the actual metal?

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote