View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Kirk

Listen, just don't get rid of the 914. You'll still appreciate it after you get the Boxster. Both are good cars, but also quite different. I've got a '72 914 also with a 2.0L and side shift. I LOVE the character of this car and use it as my daily driver. Yes, I have to work on it more, but, as JTP noted, they're much easier to work on and parts are cheaper. Try to get a front wheel bearing on the Boxster for $10 or shocks for $50!!!

I comparison to my 914 I have a 2000 Boxster S. With a nice coilover suspension and other bits I actually have the Box turning better than the 914. So you can still have a lot of fun in a Boxster. It's also nice to have something with amazing brakes, air conditioning, easy starting, leather interior, and much more comfort in general. Yes, I don't work on the Boxster nearly as much, but that's also less fun in some ways. But I'm the kind that almost enjoys wrenching on them more than driving them!

As you're a car guy and Porsche lover do yourself a favor though and get an "S" model. The base Boxster is great, but you will appreciate some of the upgrades the S will get you and the difference in price in the used market is not that substantial.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote