View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
and the base 2.5L '99 was more fun than the 3.2L '01S simply because I could put my foot to the floor longer.

I'd buy the '05 base and change the IMS immediately with the LN kit as part of the budget.

But this is you so ask yourself if handing is what you are after or are you always gonna want more oomph in which case the S makes sense for you.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/modelyeardifferences
Can't update the larger IMS bearing used from 05-up as the bearing OD is larger than the hole you would pull it out through.

As to the cars, you'll find that there are two camps- one camp who loves the 986 cars, and one for the 987s. I fall into the 986 camp. They're more of a purist (if that word can really be used on a modern car, excluding true exotics) car than the 987s. The 987 is certainly more refined, but somehow not all in a good way. I guess the best way I can describe is that getting into a 986 or 996 (I'm looking for a Turbo at the moment) feels like getting into a "different" or "special" car, while getting into a 9X7 feels more like getting in a "normal" car, almost like a Honda. The interior, in particular, though of better materials, is much more mainstream than the 9X6 cars were.

Between the two, if you decided that you wanted a 987 S, they are great cars, but I would hold out for a 3.4 car, and then really, with the 987s, I'd want a Series II car, but those have not dropped into affordability yet (at least by my definition).