View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Regardless of your height, there's a good chance that you've "bought the farm" if you roll your 986. Let's be realistic.....an ordinary belt and harness will not glue you to the seat, therefore you are falling "upward" when it rolls. The windshield frame won't do much to protect you so the car will lie on it's hood and rollbar.
I disagree with this.

A 3pt belt works surprisingly well in a rollover if you wear it.
I was T-boned at an intersection where the other driver blew a red light at speed. My mini truck rolled 3 1/2 times leaving me hanging from the straps. The simple 3pt belt held me firmly but on the second roll my head did make contact with the cabin top as it crushed down some. I grabbed the bottom of the steering wheel and ducked down to avoid any further contact as the truck continued to roll. I walked away with only minor bruises to my shins which thrashed up under the dash and some belt bruises. Very lucky indeed but the safety gear worked.

The Boxster windshield frame may be the single strongest structure on the car. Ask anyone who has attempted to cut one off. It was designed specifically to make the car survivable in a rollover (google it). I have no doubt that the WS frame/roll bar combination will go a long way towards protecting the occupants. Keeping your arms in and avoiding head/ground contact are the most serious risks I see in a Boxster rollover.

Boxster structure:
http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/file.php?19,file=160

Rollover pic, the driver walked away safely:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b6df01b3127ccecd7db8f1d4bd00000010O08AbOHDVs3cNA e3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Last edited by Topless; 09-26-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote