View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompous
My transmission had been slipping (occasionally) over about the last month. I don't drive the car all that much.

Today, it wouldn't shift into 5th gear. I stopped at a stoplight and it wouldn't go past 3rd. I parked the car for an hour or so before making the 2 mile commute back home and it shifted fine, except for one time it didn't want to go into 5th again. I put it into "manual mode" and shifted it up and down and all through the gears jus to see if it'd work. After that, it was fine again. It has about 100k on it and never a transmission fluid change. Although, it was my impression these transmissions were supposed to be maintenance free. Either way, I'm looking at changing the fluid tomorrow (maybe).

Any thoughts? Am I wasting my time changing the fluid? Is the tranny pretty much gone?
Very few issues w/ the TipS tranny. Porsche did market the cars as a lifetime fluid, but not so.

ZF, the tranny Mfgr. says a fluid/filter change every 45k mi. Pretty simple DIY.

One caveat - ZF says ONLY fluid to use is ESSO LT 71141 which is the same fluid branded as 'Porsche'. Says there have been numerous issues with other fluids claiming compatibility - says there are no compatibles.

Porsche only sells in 20 Ltr. containers which is about twice what you need. BavAuto sells LT 71141 in Qts.

You need the filter, pan gasket and 9 Qts. fluid. Procedure is outlined here - do a search.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote