View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
mspell

I've got a '99 with 33k miles, however the motor was replaced at 10k. Other similar tales I've found all indicate the idler coming apart shortly after the 30k service...due to misadjustment?? I know the 30k service dictates an inspection of the belt, & the 60k a replacement. Unfortunately(well, fortunately, really), the previous owner had the service done prior to me purchasing the car, so I can't really go back to the dealer...plus, the dealer was incredibly helpful in giving me info on the maintenance history of the car prior to my purchase. That alone is worth the $300 to fix the idler IMO.

deliriousga, I had no such tell tale rattle, I will tell you that my Defender-90 had a weak idler pulley that gave off a rattle, and it's known in the D90 circles that if you notice it vibrating back & forth & wait on it, it will separate & punch holes in all sorts of expensive British underhood parts. By lost it, I mean that the belt shredded off due to the pulley cracking off of the center bearing mount.
mspell is offline   Reply With Quote