View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Kirk

There is an aluminum frame/bumper underneath the bumper cover. There is not any energy absorbing material (foam). It looks like you got hit hard enough to damage the bumper cover, but it's doubtful that the aluminum frame is damaged. Still I would check the mounts and where it bolts to the mounts. In addition, there is a piece that bolts onto the bumper that supports the bumperette. Based on the damage to the bumperette I would be concerned that the underlying support is damaged and/or the location where it bolts to the bumper is damaged. The only way to tell for sure would be to remove the bumperttes and bumper cover and inspect everything underneath. You'll want to get quotes from a body shop for the repairs though for insurance. I would certainly have the body shop look for damage too.

When pulling together your quotes don't go cheap. Costs should include installation, replacement of parts (not repair of that damaged bumper cover), and don't forget paint (bumpers from Porsche are not painted). Make sure the quotes you get will cover the real replacement costs if a body shop were to do the work. Then, once you have the check from insurance, if you want to save the bucks and do the work yourself, good for you. As suggested, I personally would look for a good, used bumper cover that's already painted Arctic Silver. If you get a bumper cover and bumperette already painted, then replacement should not take more than an hour and it's a simple job that you can probably do yourself, assuming no damage to the support structure.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote