View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
eslai

Okay, so it's been a long time, and I see some interesting comments at the end of this thread. Let me tell you about my Saturday.

Reus installed my system back in June, 2006. All was well until two weekends ago when I blew the subwoofer after a particularly loud session of Jane's Addiction's "Three Days". Oops.

So, I called up Reus Audio. Rick picked up the phone on a Saturday--which I didn't expect. Further, when i said who I was, he remembered me and my car. Further still, he remembered that I was from San Diego and that I wouldn't be able to come up during the week.

He told me to bring my car up the next Saturday and they'd fix all my problems. They don't normally work on Saturdays.

Cliff--another fine Reus representative--met me at the shop at 9:00 AM. I was the only one there--he was there espressly for my car. He pulled my entire sub assembly out of my footwell. The assembly isn't modular, so he couldn't just replace the speaker easily.

Instead, he broke out another sub box with a newer, upgraded woofer with better low-end response. It wasn't quite complete so he set about putting it all together and covering it in newer, tougher black carpet than had been on there before.

He also helped me out with another issue I'd had since way back in the day that I had never brought the car back for (but which they'd told me to "bring it by any time" for)--namely that the system was a little bright (it was the first 987 they'd done). I had always turned the treble down to -3 on the PCM to compensate for this, which flattened the sound stage significantly, but removed all the harsh silibance from vocals and cymbal crashes. During this visit he brought the center channel down a bit, damped the tweeters in the dash, then retuned everything.

All that, for free.

With Reus, you aren't just buying the system (which has quality craftsmanship, professionalism and experience at every turn)--you're buying unparalleled customer service.

Summary:
  • Purchased system over four years ago.
  • They opened for my repairs outside of their usual store hours to accommodate my schedule.
  • They repaired my equipment for free.
  • They upgraded my equipment for free.
  • They retuned it all carefully with my input and their expertise.

I can't recommend them more! They take pride in their work--these aren't your Best Buy yahoos drilling speakers into your door panels, breaking tabs off interior trim and leaving everything a rattly mess. These are craftsmen who work on everything from Smart cars to Rolls Royces.

Now, I'm seeing that we're talking about buying from people who used to work at Reus, and that they'll give you the same product for a cheaper price. Will they treat you the same as Reus has treated me? Will they have the same professional ear and craftsmanship? Every installation has some custom element.

Another thing--when I talked to Reus back in 2006, they told me how hard it was to get good help and how they often would have to let people go for doing substandard work. I asked them how it was going now, in 2010. The situation hasn't changed--they have high standards and have a hard time finding capable people.

I trust Reus. I'm not sure I'd get the same quality out of another source, no matter what the price.